Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 2 16 7:17 AM

Tags : : , ,

Hi

I was wondering how you attach the Ada hand to a prosthetic socket? And also, do you have any socket designs available?

Thanks for your help

Jamie
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 2 16 8:57 AM

jdddog wrote:
Hi

I was wondering how you attach the Ada hand to a prosthetic socket? And also, do you have any socket designs available?

Thanks for your help

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for this question. I will have to give you the official word on this: The Ada hand is not a medical device and should not be used as a prosthetic. It's designed as a platform for research and development. The Ada hand does have a built in connector to allow it to be connected to things at the wrist and we'll be releasing a detailed datasheet of this connector very soon, the connection just requires M3 bolts.

We (Open Bionics) are separately working on prosthetic designs including a full socket and we do intend to make these open source, we don't use socket designs per se, because each socket is custom fitted. Instead we're developing a process that can be used to design one easily, and eventually aim for this process to be automated. We need to further investigate the ethical and legal implications of releasing medical devices and instructions to build medical devices before we post anything. I'm sure you understand. We're working on it. ;)

P.S. There's nothing to stop anyone else posting their findings.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 3 16 6:49 AM

JoelGibbard wrote:

jdddog wrote:
Hi

Thanks for your help

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for this question. I will have to give you the official word on this: The Ada hand is not a medical device and should not be used as a prosthetic. It's designed as a platform for research and development. The Ada hand does have a built in connector to allow it to be connected to things at the wrist and we'll be releasing a detailed datasheet of this connector very soon, the connection just requires M3 bolts.

We (Open Bionics) are separately working on prosthetic designs including a full socket and we do intend to make these open source, we don't use socket designs per se, because each socket is custom fitted. Instead we're developing a process that can be used to design one easily, and eventually aim for this process to be automated. We need to further investigate the ethical and legal implications of releasing medical devices and instructions to build medical devices before we post anything. I'm sure you understand. We're working on it. ;)

P.S. There's nothing to stop anyone else posting their findings.

Hi Joel

Ok thanks, yeah that would be great to see the datasheet for the socket, e.g. to connect it to a robot non-prosthetic arm.

Thanks

Jamie

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help