Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 7 16 6:14 AM

Tags : :

Hi Folks.

This is a new area for me so please be gentle.

The Almond board looks great however it does not seem to have any electronics on it for processing the EMG signals.  I've seen several posts regarding hand movement to prosthetic's. Can someone help me on this. Are there additional boards used to pick up the EMG.

From my limited experiments with EMG I find that when one first tenses a muscle you get a spike in the signal, which then returns to the default stream even if the muscle is still tensed.  How does the Open Bionic's project get around this. Do you use 2 muscles - one for open and the other for closed. Or have I been misreading my results.  I have several EMG/EEG boards incliding the 8 bit OpenBCI and the Myoware board.

Many thanks for any enlightenment you can pass my way.

Sincerely
Marc
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 9 16 3:59 PM

Hi Marcwolf,

We have created a tutorial on how to control the Ada hand using muscles. The tutorial currently details how to use the (recently discontinued) Muscle Sensor V3 boards. We are in the process of updating the tutorial to use the MyoWare Muscle Sensor.

Reagrding the EMG signal characteristics. Typically, when a muscle is relaxed, you should see a small resting signal, called the noise floor. This signal relates to the nominal impedance of your muscle when it is not tensed. When the muscle is tensed and then relased, you should see an initial spike in the signal, which then falls to the noise floor. If the muscle is held tensed, you should see the initial signal spike, followed by a slight drop to a less steady signal, as the muscle tries to maintain the tense. When the muscle is then relaxed, it the signal should then drop to the noise floor.

Best,
Olly

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help